We all know that when you have children, safety proofing your home is a big step as they grow. Kids are curious and can often be drawn to play with things that they shouldn’t. For some reason, electrical outlets and cords are so much cooler than all of their shiny new toys, right? At Autumn Air Home Services, we want to share some tips you can pass along to your kids to keep them safe around electrical appliances and outlets!
- Avoid plugging multiple appliances into one outlet/extension cord. This could cause damage to your system and might start a fire in your home.
- Put away electrical cords the best that you can! For example, stash the cords to your television somewhere neat and tidy. Not only will this help keep kids from messing with them, it can keep pets from chewing on them as well.
- When unplugging an appliance, do not yank the cord out of the outlet. This could create damage for the appliance, cord, and the outlet. Pull it out from closer to the outlet and be gentle.
- Do not keep electrical appliances near water.
- Keep metal objects out of and away from the toaster
- Ask a grown up first before using anything with electricity! They can give you permission or even help out!
Have little ones? It’s hard keeping an eye on them 100% of the time. They can get into dangerous stuff around the house faster than you can blink! It’s especially important to follow these “baby proofing” measures since little ones are drawn to electronics like moths to a lightbulb…bad analogy, but you get the point. These tips can help you childproof your home to avoid injury and give you a peace of mind when your child is running around the house.
- Use electrical safety covers! This is the number one way to keep your child’s fingers out of the electrical outlets. You don’t have to worry about putting them everywhere, just in places that are low to the ground where your child can reach.
- Keep electrical cords tucked away behind furniture or devices that are used to hide cords completely.
- Stash away all electrical appliances if you can! This includes hair dryers or straighteners, toaster ovens, etc.
- For longer cords that you can’t tuck away, consider using devices or velcro strips to fasten a bunched up section of the cord, which will shorten the cord length and protect your little one.
We utilize a multitude of electrical appliances on a daily basis in our homes. From washing and drying clothes, keeping food cold, to keeping water hot, so you need dedicated circuitry to keep your vital systems operating safely and effectively! We offer the electrical services and maintenance you need. Need help installing any electrical appliances? Autumn Air Home Services in Bessemer, AL can help! When it’s time to add new wiring or additional circuits, we can get the job done efficiently, effectively, and at a fair price. Give us a call today!